To All The Seniors

Hello everyone! I know this is a difficult time for all of the seniors and students who are going to be graduating this year, but keep your head up! To give you all some encouragement a few of our wonderful writers will be sharing their senior bios with you here on the blog. I hope you enjoy mine and good luck to all of you! 

Salve! Mihi nomen est Naomi, which is Latin for “Hello! My name is Naomi.” If this doesn’t give it away already, I’m a homeschooled senior who takes Latin and I’m quite proud of it, but don’t tell my mom I said that. I’ve grown up on the gulf coast all my life, but if anyone asks why I don’t have a southern accent it’s because my parents are from up north. I’m a faithful Catholic, dancer, thespian, chef, nature lover, and dreamer who just can’t wait to see the world. I currently attend St. Thomas the Apostle in Long Beach and have been involved in the Catholic Church since childhood as an alter server, Mass lector, and this past year a Search Team member for the Biloxi Diocese. I was able to serve my community and fellow young people by helping to put on two weekend retreats for juniors and seniors in high school looking to deepen their faith and discover who God wants them to be. I took classical ballet lessons for eleven years at Coast Youth Ballet Academy in Bay Saint Louis with Ms. Sharon Loiacano and have participated in Ballet Theater South’s annual Nutcracker ballet a few times. Although not currently taking classes, I continue to explore the world of dance and enjoy choreographing my own original pieces. Theater has always been a passion of mine, but I didn’t act on it until three years ago when I joined Wings Performing Arts in Gulfport shortly after I saw their rendition of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast. I have performed in numerous productions including: Wonderland, Dreams, William Shakespeare’s The Tempest, Disney’s Frozen Jr. and the Rubber Chicken Improv Festival. In addition I have acted as choreographer for: ‘Twas the Week After Christmas, Chicago High School Edition, The Tempest, Dreams, and Frozen Jr. I tried my hand at technical theater a few times with stage managing a summer show, Disney’s The Little Mermaid, and directing this past year’s children’s show, The Rainbow Fish Musical. I am also pleased to say that I attended the Mississippi Theater Association competition and the Southeastern Theater Conference during the past three years with the privilege of earning the Keynote Emerging Artist of Promise award in 2019. This allowed me to attend SETC without charge, audition for colleges and universities, and experience the ever changing world of theater on a large scale. In my free time I enjoy cooking and baking family recipes, experimenting with my own ideas, or learning new techniques in the kitchen. I hope to become a personal chef one day for artists in the theater and film industry and those seeking to heal themselves through the power of real food. If I’m not cooking then you’ll most likely find me outside in nature walking, bike riding, or bird watching, constantly on the lookout for new and exciting natural phenomenons. And lastly, as I mentioned earlier I’m a huge dreamer who has seen some of the world, but not all of it. I dream of opening my own film studio, creating original tv shows and movies, writing fantastical stories and heartfelt poems, cooking with fellow whole food enthusiasts, and most importantly to me, leaving behind a life legacy of kindness and love to all those I have or will ever encounter.

“Love may be blind, but it is as a rule willfully so. Love is true love only when it is big enough to understand the beloved with his virtues and his weaknesses.” 

- Sister Mary Eleanore, C.S.C. 

Comments