Run to Our Loving Mother

I have had a special devotion to Our Lady of Perpetual Help as long as I can remember and I believe it was my own mother who introduced me to her. 

I believe she is someone who we should turn to at this time because her arms didn’t fail to hold the child Jesus when he ran fearfully to her. Her prayer asks us to invoke her most sacred name and to never cease saying it over and over again. 

The story of her image associated with this beautiful name as I recall went something like this: 

The child Jesus was happily playing near His mother when suddenly, two small angels appeared above Him, one holding a cross and the other a scroll. Being ever so frightened by this unusual event, He ran to His Mother’s arms and she lovingly embraced Him, naturally. He buried Himself into her crest as the angels came near to them, but she gently whispered to Him not to be afraid and that they meant no harm. He began to look up slowly towards the angels as Mary held His hand firmly and smiled at Him. There was nothing for Jesus to fear with His Mother holding Him so. 

In the same way I feel called to run to Our Lady whenever I’m scared or afraid, knowing that her arms are open wide and that they will never let go of me. I also want to embrace her in times of joy as I know she longs for me then too. Run to her now and let her prayer be spoken often on your tongue as you hail her blessed name; Our Lady of Perpetual Help, protect us! 

Prayer to our Mother of Perpetual Help-

O Mother of Perpetual Help, grant that I may ever invoke Thy most powerful name, which is the safeguard of the living and the salvation of the dying. O Purest Mary, O Sweetest Mary, let Thy name henceforth be ever on my lips. Delay not, O Blessed Lady, to help me whenever I call on Thee, for, in all my needs, in all my temptations I shall never cease to call on Thee, ever repeating Thy sacred name, Mary, Mary. O what consolation, what sweetness, what confidence, what emotion fill my soul when I pronounce Thy sacred name, or even only think of Thee. I thank God for having given Thee, for my good, so sweet, so powerful, so lovely a name. But I will not be content with merely pronouncing Thy name: let my love for Thee prompt me ever to hail Thee, Mother of Perpetual Help. Amen. 

(Recite nine Hail Marys)

Feast Day: June 27th

~Nomie~ 

Comments