✰✰✰✰ Memento Mori ✰✰✰✰


     Hey, Y'all! In the past week I have been looking more in to this "memento mori" thing I have heard so much about. I want to share some of what I am learning with all of you. I follow Sister Theresa Aletheia Noble on Instagram. She posts a lot about skulls and remembering your death. I thought it was wack and I didn't feel like looking into it so I just ignored it. Then I was listening to Katie Prejean's podcast Electric Waffle and they were talking about memento mori and Sister Theresa! 

     Memento Mori is Latin for "remember your death." Why should we remember our death? Well the perspective Katie Prejean had was that by remembering your death you could live more intentionally. We remember the truth of things. One day I will die and one day you will die. Am I living every day truly for Christ? Am I confessing all of my sins and really trying to avoid sin and the near occasion of sin? When I am on my death bed will I hold on to the faith because of the life I lived and have confidence that I let God lead me life? 

     Sister Theresa challenged herself to keep a skull on her desk for an entire year. What came of it was Lenten Memento Mori devotional. In her efforts to "memento mori" daily the Lord profoundly spoke to her. Her inspiration came from Blessed James Alberione. She began meditation on death after she received a skull following a retreat.

     Now, the scripture and saints both encourage memento mori. For example:
1.  Matthew 24:44 "Therefore you also mush be ready; for the Son of man is coming at an hour you do not expect."
2. Sirach 7:36 "In all you do, remember the end of your life, and then you will never sin."
3. Psalm 90:12 "Teach us to count our days that we may gain a wise heart."

     Remembering one's death is biblical and is recommended. While death is a punishment for original sin we can better prepare for the life after that death. There is no reason to fear death.

1 Corinthians 15:55-57.
"Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting? The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."

In faith,

Britney Diaz-Roman



Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this Britney. After I saw your post, I say one of Sr. Theresa's posts on Facebook. This is a very interesting and I think great idea. Along with remembering death, I like to remember what we're designed for, eternal happiness with God! It is the best motivation to make the right decisions and live intentionally.

    Carmelites also keep a small skull in their cell (room) and have one at the head table in the refectory (dining room.). It's weird at first, but I bet it works! ;)

    God bless and keep you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment