Fun Summer Activities to do With Your Girlfriends

Hello ladies!!  Summer is here and I'm sooo excited!!


I love everything that summer stands for.  As a homeschooler, I didn't always have a typical summer vacation because I was always catching up with school that I didn't do during the year.  That was both a blessing and a curse of homeschooling.  We got to go on great family trips during the school year so there were less crowds at tourist attractions but then we had to finish school while everyone was out playing during the summer.  Now that my sister and I have graduated high school, I'm looking forward to making this a summer to remember.  I've already drawn up my summer bucket list and even checked off a couple of items.  I also splurged while making a trip to the grocery store on the summer issue of my all-time favorite magazine, Magnolia Journal.  I also got my first summer soak while I was babysitting my cousins.  We had a rousing afternoon in the backyard with water balloons and the good old-fashioned hose.

But after the first two or three weeks of freedom you might start getting a little bored.  It's super hot outside or your friends are all away on vacation.  This is a perfect opportunity for us to pull out the smartphone or sit in front of the computer or TV for hours.  And once you start, it's hard to stop.  Your head feels fuzzy and you seem to be living outside of anything going on around you.  Do you know that feeling?  I hate it.  So today, I wanted to share with you not only great things to do with your girlfriends this summer but also things to do on your own and most importantly, that can be done without electronics.

Things to do with your girlfriends:

1.  Make a bucket list of things to do together.
Last year, I made a bucket list and completed a little less than half but it was fun!  If you want, get together with your girlfriends and put a list together of fun things to do and places to go.  Make copies of the list so that you can all keep one.

2.  Make smoothies/milkshakes/popsicles
I like making smoothies all year long but I love making them for others even more.  And who doesn't like a sweet, cool, refreshing treat on a Summer afternoon?  (Or anytime!)  Team up with your friends to find a fun and easy smoothie, milkshake, or popsicle recipe to make on a hot day.  Here is one of my favorite smoothie recipes to get you started!  
Peanut Butter Banana Avocado Smoothie
Note: Try to find a recipe that requires few and common ingredients.  That way, you don't have to go shopping and can make it on the spot!

3.  Go to a farmer's market
I know we all have limited budgets but going to someplace like a farmer's market is a great way to get out without spending a lot of money.  Sure!  You could end up spending a fortune but try not to.  Just browse around and keep an eye out for free samples!  This is a great way to get a little fresh air and exercise without having to pay for admission.
Note: Other places to walk around and "window shop" include: The Bass Pro Shop, outdoor mall, and your local downtown.)

4.  Make a memory jar or smash-book 
Find a notebook and use any scraps of paper, ribbon, fun colored tape, maps, pictures, magazine pages, or anything else that suites your fancy and create a scrapbook!  A smash-book or junk journal is basically a messy scrapbook; not a lot of artistry required.  Just glue any ticket stubs, photos, brochures, and other memory things in there.

 
I'm also making a memory jar this summer.  You can put shells, admission bracelets, tickets, ribbons, pictures and whatever your heart desires in there.  Then, at the end of summer, look through the contents and thank God for all the wonderful memories.

5. Have a sleepover
It doesn't matter how old you are, sleepovers are still so much fun.  Bring out the full sized air mattress or squish some twin air mattresses together out on the living room floor.  For a more homey approach, dress the bed with a full set of sheets, blankets, and/or comforter.  Gather all your favorite pillows and stuffies to complete the coziness.

6.  Go on a bike ride
It's simple fun exercise.  Since it will be hot out, make sure you take water.  You can also go early in the morning after a sleepover or late in the evening, since it stays lighter later, to avoid the heat of the day.

7.   Clothing swap
Let your friend go shopping in your closet!  Swap an article or two of clothing for the summer.  Don't forget to get pictures in your new outfit combos!  Maybe you could even make it into a party!  There are lots of ideas on Pinterest for a clothing swap party.  Invite your friends to bring their unwanted clothes and even shoes or accessories to your house and make the clothes swap a party.  It's a great way to pass on the clothes you don't wear so much and get some free new pieces.  Then, you can donate all the unclaimed items.

8.  Volunteer together
Our local pregnancy resource center is always looking for extra help!  You may not be able to help clients if you are under age, but every little bit helps.  There is no insignificant job.  So call your local center and see if there's a day they would like a group of volunteers!

9.  Karaoke
Indoors, outdoors, in the car, at the pool; it's always fun to sing your heart out with friends!  There are lots of great karaoke tracks on YouTube or you could just gather around the piano or pick up a guitar!  I always love singing with friends!  Maybe you want to reverse the idea nd lip sync?  There's a great app for that!  Video Star lets you use any song in your iTunes library to make a great lip sync music video.  There are lots of effects so you can get creative!


10.  No tech day
Ok, I've never tried this, but I think it would be a fantastic idea.  I definitely have this on my summer bucket list as I hope to decrease screen time this summer significantly.  (Hasn't happened yet...)  Put the phones away (or if you're worried about getting important notifications, hand it over to your mom.)  Log off of the computer and make your own fun!!  If you have a digital or instant camera though, I would say you could use that to document all the great things you do!!

Bonus!!

I did want to share a couple more ideas to help you break free of boredom this summer, even when you're all by yourself.
  1. Make cookies/cookie dough
  2. Get a summer job
  3. Become more flexible
  4. Stargaze
  5. Go swimming
  6. No spend week
  7. Color
  8. Read
  9. Write a short story/song
  10. Drink Hubert's Lemonade 
Caution, consuming this product may cause joy.  ;)

I hope you enjoyed this list of summer activities to do with your girlfriends!!  If you do any of these things this summer, do let me know!  I'd love to see pictures in the comments of this post on Facebook!  I hope you all have a fantastic summer!  Stay cool!

God bless you,

Sarah


Comments

  1. I love your list, Sarah, but you forgot the most important one: THRIFT STORE SHOPPING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOooh! Good idea, thanks Catherine!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment