Unplanned


Hello friends!  

Yesterday, my family, friends and I went to go see a special premiere event of Unplanned.

"Unplanned is the inspiring true story of one woman’s journey of transformation.

All Abby Johnson ever wanted to do was help women. As one of the youngest Planned Parenthood clinic directors in the nation, she was involved in upwards of 22,000 abortions and counseled countless women about their reproductive choices. Her passion surrounding a woman’s right to choose even led her to become a spokesperson for Planned Parenthood, fighting to enact legislation for the cause she so deeply believed in.

Until the day she saw something that changed everything, leading Abby Johnson to join her former enemies at 40 Days For Life, and become one of the most ardent pro-life speakers in America." Unplanned Movie on Facebook



I've been anxiously awaiting the release of this movie.  The story seemed like a really good plot and the fact that it's a true story made it even more special.  The trailer made it look well done and got me hooked.  Unplanned looked like a film that was the first of it's kind.  The first movie that would shake up the pro-life debate.  I was praying it would really shed light on the subject.  I walked into the theater smiling and greeting friends hoping it would not disappoint.

It certainly did not.

Unplanned is like no other movie you've seen before.  The story draws you in, the actors did a wonderful job, and the whole movie was executed very well as a whole.  No, it certainly did not disappoint.  It exceeded my expectations.  I knew it was going to be controversial, but really, it was life changing.

Unplanned reveals abortion for what it really is.  It even exposes the different types of abortion.  I knew abortion was bad.  I knew it took one life and harmed another but most of the pro-life people like myself haven't actually seen the terrible physical and emotional harm abortion causes women.  Yes, it's hard to watch.  Yes, many movie-goers were shedding tears.  There were gasps and sighs.  "No one said abortion is pretty."  And it isn't.  It's actually a very terrible thing.  It is the worst thing any expectant mother could go through.  This movie opened my eyes and my heart compelling me to pray, work, and fight more than ever to end abortion.



What's more, it inspired me to really pray for and love the women who are contemplating, having, or have had an abortion.  Often times they're pressured, scared, or think they have no other choice.  They've never experienced the true love and light of God that will carry them and strengthen them through anything.  So not only did Unplanned display the harm of abortion but it also beautifully displayed the power of God through prayer and our presence.  I've participated in a few 40 Days for Life campaigns but this movie tells us how important our prayers and witness really are.  When you pray out on the sidewalk in front of the abortion center, you never know how many lives you affect or save.  This movie is full of love, grace, redemption and forgiveness.

40 Days for Life isn't over!  You can join thousands of pro-lifers across the country in praying for an end to abortion.  Find a vigil location near you now!

https://40daysforlife.com/browse-campaigns/

Finally, I wanted to talk about the R rating of this film and why I saw it.  The only other R rated film I've ever seen is The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition.  It was rated R for extended and violent battle sequences.  It was intense but was all CG so I was able to watch the film.

Unplanned was given an R rating for “some disturbing/bloody images”.  Yes, there are bloody images but this is the horrible truth of abortion.  Want to know what Abby Johnson said about the R rating herself?  
Abby describes the scenes in this letter.  Yes, I did close my eyes while the CG "abortion" was shown on the "ultrasound" but, like Abby said, this movie is inspirational and happy as well.  I knew I needed to see this movie and I'm so glad I did.  When you understand how abortion hurts women, you are that much more equipped to pray for them and to help them.


So let's just think about this for a second.  A 15 year old girl in America can get an abortion without parental consent, but she can't see a movie about abortion without her parents.  Doesn't make sense, does it??  There is no foul language, sex, nudity, or gun violence.  So does Unplanned really deserve to be an R rated film?  Probably not, but this rating proves that the MPAA thinks abortion is violent.  And it is.

So please, go see Unplanned in theaters this weekend so we can tell Hollywood how important this film is.  It's important to know how abortion affects women and that women deserve better than abortion.  It's important to know the not-so-pretty truth.  It's important to be inspired and motivated to pray for the end of abortion.  Unplanned is like no other movie you've seen before.  Vote with your ticket and invite your family and friends to see it with you!  You will never see the pro-life movement the same way again.



For life,

Sarah



Comments

  1. I saw part of the trailer, but then I didn't watch the rest because I thought it was going the other way, that it was not pro-life. I'm so glad to hear that I was wrong! The theaters near me probably won't get it (they tend to only get action-packed movies), but if I do get the chance, I want to see it! Thanks for letting me know about this, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it is definitely a pro-life movie, and a wonderful one at that! Unplanned the movie just announced on their Facebook page that they're opening in 700 new theaters and cities this week, praise God, so hopefully you'll get a chance to see it. God bless you!

      Delete
  2. Great post, Sarah! It’s showing in my hometown, so I might go see it, I don’t know. . . .

    Honestly, the R rating both does and doesn’t make sense. I mean, watching a surgical abortion on-screen is hard to watch, I will say. But at the same time, it seems like the R rating is supposed to scare people off?? Maybe that’s just me, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole!

      It has been speculated that the R rating was to keep people away but we don't really know for certain. The movie makers did a really good job of portraying the abortion and yet, not showing anything really disturbing. The scene is intense because you know what's going on but because they show computer graphic sonogram images, it's not as bad as seeing a real abortion. Of course, it's up to every family to decide what's appropriate for their teens and children.

      There are so many movies with bloody imagery and many other more graphic scenes that aren't rated R so it's sad that this movie has been rated R. But it's good, too, that the MPAA thinks abortion is violent.

      I hope we can talk with our families about seeing it so we can know the truth of the abortion industry, the power of God in prayer, and the healing that can be offered to those affected by this.

      God bless you!

      Delete

Post a Comment