The One About Respect

Hey howdy hey everybody!  So, if my last post wasn't enough to get you thinking "oh golly, Emily, write about something interesting for a change"....first of all, if that's what you're thinking, don't even bother reading any further of this post. Secondly...yeah, you're probably gonna think that no matter what.  ;P

This is a post that I've been wanting to do for a long time, and finally have come to the conclusion that I know what to write so now I can actually post it. ;P

And, yes, this is the one about RESPECT.




Okey dokey!  So, I just have to start this off with an example, per se.  Rather, an event that happened to me, and kinda forced me to write this.  ;P

Bear with me, readers, it isn't that long a story.  ;)

{So, for those unawares, I work at Chick-Fil-A. And we hold high standards of our guests.  Now, as a young Catholic lady, I was brought up to respect my elders--and even those who aren't my elders!--so, every workday, I will, without a doubt, refer to each man as 'sir' and each lady as 'ma'am'; just as I'll refer to a group of women as 'ladies' and a group of men as 'gentlemen' and with little kids, I have an odd habit of constantly calling them 'sweetheart'.  Nothing weird about that, right?--okay, maybe there is something weird with always calling kids sweetheart, I don't know...BUT apparently there is something odd about calling men and women 'sir' and 'ma'am'...???}

The other day, I brought this really sweet old couple their meals.  When the man asked me a question regarding his food, I replied with 'yes, sir.' And right after I did, both of them had such shocked--happy shocked, haha--expressions.  They both looked at each other, then at me.  And almost simultaneously said: "Sir?!" When I said 'yes' and kinda chuckled thinking they were joking, they both went on to tell me what a respectful, beautiful young lady I was and how nice I truly was, as well as how rare it is to see that nowadays.  Afterwards, they told me their names, and the gentleman even went so far as to shake my hand.

{see? the story wasn't TOO long, eh?} xP

So, my first thought after that incident, was how truly sad it was to hear this adorable, sweet old couple admit that it's rare to see respect these days.  And then my second thought was of how lucky I am to have such kindhearted guests remind me of how I should be acting all the time, and, of complimenting me in such ways.

Since that day, I can't stop thinking about it all, and when I go out, I now notice the lack of respect surrounding me.  How less and less often I hear the words 'sir' and 'ma'am' used; how more often I see disrespectful signs/words/actions given off to another being undeserving of it; how less and less so I see a man hold a door open for a lady; how more often I see people uncaring of one another.... etc.. etc... etc...

And it's sad.

It truly is.

Events like the one that occurred with me is just a reminder of it.

Respect is not just an optional characteristic or personality.  It's something we should hold for everyone.  Just as Christ taught us to.  Respecting someone--especially if it's someone you 'can't stand'--is showing your true devotion to Christ and displaying your undying love AND respect for Him.

As young Catholics, we should be displaying what our Faith believes in--kindness, charity, RESPECT, etc--, and through these portrayals, we should be drawing others to the True Faith.  Just holding these personalities, these traits, in ourselves is bringing US closer to the Faith.  It's bringing US closer to God.  Because, by showing your true feelings of respect for others, we're showing our true love for Christ.

So, I'm not gonna go on and on about what respect is, and how truly important it is. <-- that alone should be enough to explain it ;)  But, I am gonna say, that we should strive to bring it back.

Even if to start, all you're doing is calling that man 'sir', or calling that lady 'ma'am'.  It's a start!  And even what may seem the smallest, silliest start, can have a huge impact on not only yourself, but those around you.

Remember: what you do, what you say, how you act, has direct influence on those whom you come in contact with.

And I should also like to remind you that respecting YOURSELF is often the first step towards respecting others.


{I'm sorry if these weren't the most inspirational quotes for the topic of respect, but it's the best I could do  ;) }


So, with that being said, I hope y'all got something out of this post!--Or at least semi-enjoyed it.  ;)  Let me know what your thoughts are in the comments below!  And have a very happy Monday!

<3always: Emily

Comments

  1. I’m . . . genuinely not sure how to respond to this except by saying: EVERYONE IN THE WORLD NEEDS TO READ THIS!!!!! The world would be a much better place then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. Wow, haha. Thank you. I'm genuinely honored that you think that, on account of, I didn't think this post was too well written myself. But, I had to get it out there. I had been waiting and waiting for something to happen that would urge me and inspire me in this post, and let me tell you, that one event really broke my heart. Seeing these sweet kindhearted old folks and then hearing them admit that they don't get respect very often...(?????) Yeah, I cried later. But, not as much as I am praying now that we all realize how truly important respect is. <3

      ~And if you're truly looking to get this post out there, feel free to spread the word! <3

      God Bless you, Nicole! And have a wonderful Monday! <3333

      Delete
  2. Wow, Emily, this was an amazing post!!! And soooo true!!! Like Nicole said, everyone needs to read this!! and practice it!! Respect is most definitely something that we see less and less of these days. Treating a fellow human being with the respect they deserve, as well as treating yourself with respect, just doesn`t happen these days. While I always try to be respectful to others, I admit I do slip quite often. Thanks for the reminder to always be respectful to anyone and everyone, Emi!! You write such great posts!! <3333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much, Zelie! <3333 You're really way too kind! :3 {{{{{Well, if you seriously want to "get the word out"--as I told Nicole--please feel free to spread it! ;) }}}}} And trust me, honey, you're not the only one who slips from time to time. We all do. The important thing is being able to catch ourselves when we do so, and mend that...make a goal to fix that. :) Often times, just showing that you care about someone, is a great display of your respect for them. :3 Anywhosies, thank you once again, Zelie! {{{and no, my posts are not all that. XD but thanks for thinking so ;P }}} <3333333

      Delete
    2. No I`m not! You deserve praise! Your posts truly are inspiring. I always feel more motivated after reading them.

      Delete
  3. Ain't all of the above the truth.....*nods sagely*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But we can fix that! Or at least try our hardest too! <3333 Operation Bring Back Respect is on! :3

      Delete

Post a Comment