Climb Every Mountain


Hello dear friends,

Last week, I was able to get outdoors and go hiking with some friends.  I haven't been hiking or done such good exercise in a long time.  First we hiked "The Lonely Mountain" to watch the sunrise.  My sister and I were late so we had to book it up the mountain which means I was huffing and puffing all the way.  We were about 5 minutes from the top when I got dizzy.  I had to sit down, drink water, and let my breathing settle down.  I couldn't figure out how my sister with asthma was doing fine when I was panting.  Must be those longer legs that allow her to keep up with everyone else easily.  

Well, I offered the rest of the group could go on up ahead; I would be able to see them at the top from there.  I just didn't think I'd be able to make it.  My friends were understanding and let me rest but they also encouraged me and helped me along.  They didn't let me stay alone and helped me up the last bit of the hike to the very top of the mountain.  Once I made it, I was still lightheaded, but I felt fine.  we made it in plenty of time to watch the beautiful sunrise and I recovered fully before we headed back down.

I was so thankful to my friends for being patient with me, allowing me to pause, encouraging me, pushing me just a little, and helping me to reach our goal.


On our next hike, I knew my limitations based on the last one.  I wouldn't push myself too hard and knew I would need to take breaks.  At first, we thought we'd start out on an easy trail, but we ended up picking a moderate level one.  This wasn't as steep or rushed as our last hike, but eventually, I was huffing and puffing again.  There were many times I wanted to ask to turn back to go for an easier trail, but I didn't.  Each time this happened, we usually came to an easier part of the hike or the top of the hill where a little descent was much easier.  I did however ask to pause for a water break.  We contemplated heading back as we had come quite far, but something in each of us wanted to do a little more.  


After our water break, we snapped some pictures and decided to explore.  Just then, we came to the most beautiful part of the hike.  This experience made me think about our spiritual journeys.  We trudge along and get tired.  The way is steep, rocky, rough, and hard.  Sometimes, we seem on the verge of giving up or think we've done well enough; we don't need to venture further and harder today.  But just like in our hike, after those trying bits, we may come to an easier part of the path or an absolutely beautiful view.


This experience has encouraged me to keep persevering in my journey towards Heaven.  Yes, it will be tough and trying at times, but Our Lord will be with us and will never give us more than we can handle. 

Last night, my family and I watched The Sound of Music again.  Reverend Mother's song, "Climb Every Mountain" seemed to fit in this theme as well so I thought I would include it here.  With this song I would like to encourage you to continue on the path of life laid out for you.  Continue your journey to Heaven boldly and courageously knowing that God will be with you every step of the way.  

Comments