"Teach me how to pray!"

"Lovely Lady dressed in blue... Teach me how to pray!  God was just your little boy, Tell me what to say!" 

Hello dear friends!  Happy New Year!

Prayer is a very important part of any Catholic's life.  It is nothing less than a heart to heart talk with the One Who made you and wants what's best for you.  I know, as a young woman in the 21st-century world, however, that it can be very hard to find the time or figure out how to pray.  It often seems like I'm just rambling on, getting distracted, and repeating prayers monotonously.  How can we get around this and get down to business?  We need some real communication and some real answers.
"Prayer is nothing less than union with God." ~St. John Marie Vianney

Before we get to a regular and deep prayer life though, we need to clear up some things.  Put down your phone.  Turn it off.  Hide it.  Phones seem to be the #1 distraction to people of all ages.  You may think you need your phone because it has great Catholic apps and prayers but trust me, phones will end up being more of a hindrance than a help.  If you do have a favorite prayer on your phone or computer, print it off in an easy-to-read font and then turn off the device.

Next, find a quiet spot where you will less likely be disturbed.  This may be outside, in your bedroom, in the office, or any quiet place.  It doesn't have to be completely quiet or remote, but just remove yourself from excessive noise and the main traffic areas of the house.  This will help you to concentrate.  Also, make sure your location is relatively tidy.  A messy room often serves as a distraction while you're trying to focus.

Now, all of these steps seem like they're from another topic entirely.  "How am I supposed to get any prayer done when I'm cleaning my room and locating prayers?" you might ask.  I know it's a long process, but in order to be productive in prayer, I have found these preparatory steps very important.  But remember, everything doesn't have to be perfect, just get major distractions put away.  Of course, we will never get rid of all the things that distract us from God out of our lives.  Just try to put away the big ones that are around you.

"Sleep with the angels and rise with the saints!"
The best way to start praying regularly is by starting on a schedule we can keep every day.  We get up and go to bed every day no matter where we are or what we're doing so let's start there.  In my next post, I will share with you some simple and easy morning and night prayers.  Start now to make a habit of praying when you rise.  Maybe even just a Hail Mary.  Offer your whole day to Our Lord.


At night, before you fall into bed, examen your conciense and speak to Our Lord about your day.  Give it all to Him; the good, the bad, the ugly.  Maybe invoke your Guardian Angel to keep you safe through the night and then rest in the peace of Christ.



There are many ways to pray.  Some examples are the rosary, litanies, and other written prayers, mental prayer, meditation, and even reading the Bible or spiritual works!  Another wonderful way to talk to God throughout the day is by using short prayers and aspirations.  You can find many short prayes to pray whenever you are tempted or just want to refocus.  I will share more with you in my next post!

"Jesus meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine!"

Of course, good and meaningful prayer is not a one-way conversation.  After you have opened and poured out your heart to Our Lord, be still and listen.  This is so very important.  God speaks to us in the silence.  Try to quiet your mind and be patient.  God will give you His answers and grace exactly when you need it.  I know it's hard to sit and just be quiet.  My mind wanders.... a lot.  Maybe start with 5 or 10 minuites a day to just be sielnt with God.  We can work up to more time later. 

Finally, do not give up.  Prayer is a commitment and a union with God.  He is there always to help you and to listen to you.  Persevere!  It will not always be easy but it will be worth it.  When we have time set aside on a regular basis, it becomes much easier to remember to pray.  God is calling you to a deeper relationship with Him.  In order to follow this call, we must go to Him in prayer.

I hope you have found this advice helpful.  Do you have special times set aside for prayer?  I'd love to hear about it!

May God bless you and keep you, dear friends!!

~Sarah

Comments

  1. I'm definitely one of those young ladies who constantly struggles with one-sided conversations, distraction and monotony when it comes to prayers....so this post is going to be bookmarked.

    I use my phone or my kindle to access prayers and I really shouldn't. It's high time I got another missal....

    I can't wait for your next post - I've been bouncing back and forth between different sets of morning and evening prayers so I'm curious about the ones that you'll be sharing.

    Awesome post, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling a lot of us have the same problems. :) I'm very glad we can work together and help eachother.

    A missal is great but mine doesn't have a ton. The Catholic Girl's Guide is super helpful and filled with all sorts of wonderful prayers.

    Thank you so so much, Catherine! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. This means a lot.

    God bless you always!! <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment